Wednesday, September 24

Some Thoughts on Breakfast

We don't have cold cereal in our house. I used to buy it, but after eating two bowls of it, my children would be hungry again in an hour! I make oatmeal or grits, most of the time, and I'm talking about the kind you cook, not instant.
For oatmeal, we usually eat it with honey or brown sugar and cinnamon. My mom used to make it with cheese, sprouts and (if I remember correctly) sunflower seeds!
We usually eat grits with cheese, and my son and I like them with just butter. My grandmother used to eat her grits with jelly in them.

Other Breakfast Ideas

We have a flock of chickens so we eat a lot of eggs (when they're laying good). I usually boil a half dozen a day. My husband takes a couple in his lunch and the rest get eaten either at breakfast (with fruit and cream-cheese toast), or for a snack in the afternoon. Boiled eggs are also great for a snack on the go.
We love pancakes at our house but I don't like serving them with fake syrup. Real maple syrup is expensive so I buy it on sale and use it sparingly. We also eat pancakes with honey, jelly or applesauce on them, all delicious and much cheaper than maple syrup. Homemade fruit syrup is also good. I froze a lot of berries this year and I'm going to try my hand at making some blueberry syrup. As for the pancakes themselves, I never use a mix, made-from-scratch always tastes so much better. I usually use this whole wheat/buttermilk recipe:



Whole Wheat Buttermilk Pancakes
Sift together dry ingredients:
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
Combine wet ingredients:
4 Tbsp. honey or molasses
2 eggs
4 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. melted butter
Mix dry and wet ingredients together quickly, do not over-beat.
Drop by spoonfuls on lightly greased, hot griddle. Flip pancakes when edges turn brown and bubbles are popped. Cook on other side till golden brown.
This recipe usually makes about 20 pancakes (depending on the size) and feeds my family of four.
Enjoy!



No comments: